“Only as the city moved into the nineteenth century did substantial all-round growth outside the city walls begin.”
At the beginning of the century, Waterloo Place, named after the Battle of Waterloo in 1812, was mostly slob land which had to be reclaimed from the mud flats along the Foyle. But, progress was rapid and by mid-century the area had developed into a prosperous part of the city.
“… Fine residences having been erected there to house some of the “nobility and gentry” and business people – merchants, shipowners, grocers – who had established their businesses there.”
Just 15 years later, the Golden Teapot first appeared and so it dates from the period of the city’s most rapid expansion. In fact, during the nineteenth centurythe city’s population quadrupled. People moved into the town after the terrible famine in the countryside, the shirt factories provided a degree of prosperity and Derry moved up from being the twelfth largest town in Ireland to being the fourth.